November 9, 2015
Meeting held at the State College Borough Building
- Anna Nelson, Vice President
- Joan Potter, Secretary
- Paul Rito
- Kelly Doyle
- Jean Bemis
- Brian Dempsey
- Sue Barsom
- Irene Hicks
- Courtney Hayden
- Michele Chernega
- Cecily Zhu
The meeting was called to order by Anna Nelson at 5:30 pm.
PSU Alternative Transportation Program Coordinator
Introductions were made for Cecily Zhu, Penn State’s new coordinator for the Alternative Transportation Program. She mentioned a few projects she is working on, including a car/ride share program, a bike share program, expanding the bike repair stations system in coordination with the Borough of State College, and renewing the Bike-Friendly University status in the spring.
Centre Region Bike Plan
Meetings to present the regional bike plan to Township Supervisors are in progress and going well. Trish Meek is doing an excellent job presenting the plan and answering questions. She also asked for bike touring routes to be noted.
Videon Central is available for a meeting/party on Dec. 13, 14 or 15. Other locations and dates were also discussed. Anna will send a quick survey out to the Executive Committee to finalize where & when.
At the December meeting/party, there will be an opportunity to brainstorm projects to address in 2016. Initial suggestions are:
- Encourage businesses to incentivize biking to work (i.e., PSU, Hospital and downtown businesses that pay for employee parking)
- Create map of bike routes to historical sites in Centre County, such as Curtain Village Ironworks, Centre Furnace Mansion and Boogersville Schoolhouse
- Bellefonte-State College Rail Trail
- Revamp bike registration process
- Bike lights campaign
Election of 2016 Officers and Executive Committee Members
The election of CentreBike officers and Executive Committee members occurred as follows:
- Anna Nelson was nominated as President; unanimously elected
- Paul Rito was nominated as Vice President; unanimously elected
- Kelly Doyle was nominated as Treasurer; unanimously elected
- Joan Potter was nominated as Secretary; unanimously elected
The Executive Committee slate was nominated, seconded, and unanimously approved as follows:
- Jim Serene
- Brian Dempsey
- Allan Stoekl
- Sue Barsom
- Mark Davison
Share the Road signage
Sue Barsom suggested a request be made for a Share the Road sign on Fox Hollow Road.
There being no further business to come before the meeting, it adjourned at 6:40 pm.
Joan Potter, Secretary
Would you like to see a better-connected network of bike routes in our community? (i.e. bike/ped paths, designated bike lanes, painted on-road sharrows — or improvements on any road that is heavily used by cyclists). We have a major opportunity to influence that. Read on:
For the past year, Centre Region Council of Gov’ts (COG) has worked on a regional bicycle plan. It covers the entire Centre Region.
Now COG is sharing their recommendations with the public, and our elected officials.
What’s Happening Now
COG is presenting the draft plan at meetings in every township and Borough in the region. There is also a meeting designed for the general public on November 10, at 7pm at the COG Building.
We want you to send a loud-and-clear message to local elected officials that we support this type of work.
Here’s how you can help:
- Review the draft plan and send your thoughts and feedback to Council of Governments at http://crcog.net/bikes
- Email your local elected leaders (in Ferguson, College, Harris, Patton, State College Borough, or Halfmoon townships). Tell them you want them to take action on the Regional Bicycle Plan from Council of Governments – and thank them for any help and support they are willing to provide.
- Attend the public review meeting on Tues. Nov 10 at 7pm at the COG Building. Share your positive support of COG’s work.
- Attend your local township council meeting (in Ferguson, College, Harris, Patton, State College Borough, or Halfmoon townships). Speak up during public comments, and share your positive enthusiasm for more bike infrastructure.
Have questions? Send CentreBike a message.