Did you know? May is National Bike Month. Throughout the month, you’ll see bike-friendly events around the State College area.
CentreBike is encouraging the community to try riding a bike to work, school or just for recreation! If you are new to riding a bike, or looking for tips on commuting, staying safe, and following bike laws, check out our Tips & Articles.
Centre Region May Bike Events
- Friday April 29, 7:30am – 4pm– Bike Month Kick-off and “Ask a Cyclist” – Have a question about biking in the Centre Region? Volunteers will be at Allen Street Gates to answer questions, offer maps/resources, and to celebrate May Bike Month. Contact CentreBike with questions.
- All Month – Track your bike miles ridden on the National Bike Challenge. Thousands of cyclists nationwide participate and prizes are awarded. Last year, Centre Region took 14th in the nation for points earned as a community. Help us reach over 200 riders this year!
- Sunday, May 1, 11:30am – Linden Loop Ride – Participate in a fundraising ride for the Rock Hill School – either the 28 mile ride (12:30pm) or the 5 mile family ride (1pm). Register online at http://bit.ly/lindenloop2016
- Every Friday in May, 8am – 9:30am – Free Coffee for Bike Commuters – Trying riding your bike to work in May! Designated locations around State College will be offering free coffee or breakfast to bike commuters. May 6 – Old Main Steps, May 13 – Freeze/Thaw Cycles, May 20 – The Bicycle Shop, May 27 – TBD location (likely State College Borough Building)
- Every Wednesday in May, 6pm – Beginner Mountain Bike Ride – Nittany Mountain Biking Association (nittanymba.org) hosts an easier ride with lots of encouragement. All ride levels welcome! Meet at Galbraith Gap Parking Lot at Rothrock State Forest (beyond Tussey Mountain parking lot, on your left) Contact NMBA with questions.
- Tuesday, May 17, 5:30pm Forum: Building A Bike Friendly Community – Where do we go from here? Hear how the Regional Bike Plan is being implemented, plus updates on our Bike Friendly Community (BFC) status, and where we’re going from here. We want your ideas! Hosted at State College Borough Building, in the Community Room. Contact CentreBike with questions: https://centrebike.org/contact-us-2/
- Saturday May 21– Family Ride Around Town– Easy ride (5-7 miles) along shared paths through town. Come out and enjoy the fresh air and fellow slow-rolling cyclists. Contact CentreBike with questions.
- Thursday, May 26, 6:00pm – Lower Level Road Ride – Interested in longer distance group rides, but new to the sport? Join State College Cycling at Haymarket Park for a “Slow and Easy” 10-15 mile ride to learn the ropes. Email email@example.com with questions.