We are the voice for slow and fast bicyclists in the Centre Region.
CentreBike is a 501(c) organization, founded in 2000, to help facilitate the vision of a more cycle-friendly community in the greater State College area. We are a coalition of cyclists working for cyclists, with the goal of promoting bicycling as a means of recreation and transportation.
Our interests include bicycling advocacy, rider education, bicycling safety & awareness, riding opportunities for all ages, and encouraging more bicycling in the area.
The common thread is that we love to ride, whether it be on the way to work, on singletrack through the forest, or on rolling back country roads.
The long term goals of CentreBike currently include:
- Provide regular public events that educate, celebrate and/or encourage more bicycling in our community.
- Educate bikers and the community about bike safety issues.
- Increase the miles of commuter biking in the Centre Region.
- Assist the Centre Region Bicycle Advisory Committee (CRBAC) with efforts to improve the Centre Region’s “Bicycle Friendly Community” status from the League of American Cyclists from Bronze (current status) to Silver and Gold.
- Continue to work with local municipalities to improve bicycling infrastructure in the Centre Region:
- Advocate for the construction of bike lanes or paved shoulders on arterial roads, whenever they are upgraded or constructed.
- Make recommendations to increase the safety, signage, connectedness & maintenance of paths for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Encourage the installation of bike-friendly facilities at municipal, campus and other community locations (including bike racks, showers for commuters, and other amenities)
We are also a member organization of the League of American Cyclists a nationwide organization with a mission “To promote bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation and work through advocacy and education for a bicycle-friendly America.”
CentreBike is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.