January 9, 2017
Meeting held at the State College Borough Building
- Joan Potter
- Courtney Hayden
- Autumn Busbee
- Cecily Zhu
- Tristan Avelis
- Will Gowen
- Andrew Artz
- Paul Rito
- Cliff Kanz
- Tom Geseli
- Jean Bemis
- Michele Chernega
- James Read
- Frank Maguire
- Mark Davison
- Mark Higgins
- Tristan Avelis was nominated as President; unanimously elected
- Andrew Artz was nominated as Vice President; unanimously elected
- Joan Potter was nominated as Secretary/Treasurer; unanimously elected
Nittany Cycling Classic
Will Gowen, the PSU cyclist organizing the 2017 Nittany Cycling Classic scheduled for Mar 25-26, described the event activities and mentioned volunteers will be needed. An announcement will be shared with the listserv when available.
Bike Rack Donations
CentreBike member Dennis Bender was acknowledged for his generosity in picking up and delivering 4 racks in December to Childspace, the COG building, Gigi’s and Way Fruit Farm. Cecily Zhu noted that two more racks are available this week. As soon as organizations are identified to receive them, arrangements will be made for delivery.
Upcoming Local Events Discussed
- Jan 14: CRPR Bike Maintenance class at FreezeThaw https://centrebike.org/event/bike-maintenance/
- Feb 10: International Winter Bike to Work Day. Details to be announced.
- Feb 11:CRPR Bike Maintenance class at FreezeThaw https://centrebike.org/event/bike-maintenance-2/
- Feb 13: Bike Lights Giveaway in lieu of February Centre Bike meeting. Details to be announced.
- Mar 16: Basics of Bike Touring class https://centrebike.org/event/basics-of-bike-touring-class/
- Apr 28: <tentative> CentreBike information table at Allen St Gates
- Apr 29: Street Skills for Cyclists class https://centrebike.org/event/street-skills-for-cyclists/
- Coffee Fridays in May in celebration of Biking to Work
- May 11: Biking in the Centre Region class https://centrebike.org/event/biking-in-the-centre-region-class/
- Frank Maguire mentioned the National Bike Summit is Mar 6-9th in Washington, DC. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/building-a-bicycle-friendly-america-for-everyone-national-bike-summit-tickets-29077453446
- The South Central PA’s Regional Bike Summit will be Mar 18th at the Harrisburg Area Community College. http://bicyclesouthcentralpa.org/
- Cliff Kanz noted the PA Chapter of the American Planning Association is a conference in State College on Oct 22-24. There may be an opportunity to hold a bike-related workshop or field trip at the conference.
- The next CentreBike general membership meeting will be Mar 13 at 5:30p in Room 241 at the Borough Building.
There being no further business to come before the meeting, it adjourned at 6:25 pm.
Joan Potter, Secretary
Centre Region Parks and Recreation, along with CentreBike and Freeze-Thaw Cycles, will be offering these cycling classes in Winter and Spring 2017:
Bike Maintenance (two separate sessions), Saturday, January 14, 5:30-7:30pm or Saturday, February 11, 5:30-7:30pm If you are new to cycling or just want to learn more about caring for your bike, then this class is for you! Learn how to fix flats, clean and lube a chain, go over maintenance tips and answer mechanical questions. These skills will save you time, money and give you a much better understanding, and appreciation, of your bike. If time permits we will cover additional topics. Light refreshments will be provided by Freeze Thaw. Please note: The deadline to register is January 9. No need to bring your bike to this educational class.
January Class Registration: https://apm.activecommunities.com/crpr/Activity_Search/bike-maintenance-101-january/6866
February Class Registration: https://apm.activecommunities.com/crpr/Activity_Search/bike-maintenance-101-february/6867
Basics of Bike Touring March 16, 6-8pm Have you ever wanted to tour by bike, but don’t know where to start? If so, this class is for you! We will review the laws and touring etiquette; suggest what to take and how to pack it; and teach you how to make the basic repairs while on the road. Also, if you want to ship your bike and ride one way, we have information on which shipping method is most effective. This is a classroom workshop; attendees do not need to bring a bike. Please note: The deadline to register is March 10.
Street Skills for Cyclists, Saturday April 29 9am-4pm This League of American Cyclists Certified class is designed for participants of all abilities who want to increase their comfort and confidence when cycling on city streets. We start in the classroom, where we learn the rules of the road including where to ride, basic traffic principles, how to safely change lanes, how to avoid common road hazards, and more. Then we move outside to work with a certified instructor in a short open-road session on skill drills in a traffic-free environment to employ the strategies we just learned. Bring your own working bike and helmet (required). Bikes should have air in the tires, functioning brakes, etc. Please note: The deadline to register is April 24.
Biking in the Centre Region, May 11 6-7:45pm Do you want to start biking or feel more confident navigating local routes? Join us and learn more about the Centre Region’s bike paths/routes, PA & local laws, how to pick a bike, and other biking-around-town tips. Get answers to your bike-related questions from regional planning staff and CentreBike members. Attendees will receive a copy of the PA Bicycle Driver’s Manual and an awesome bike pin. Please note: this is a classroom workshop so attendees do not need to bring a bike. Please note: The deadline to register is May 5.